Enhanced Linux System Accounting - proposal

Hello,

  I'm working on a new project called ELSA (Enhanced Linux System Accounting).
The job of accounting is to collect and report the use of various system
resources by applications. Informations, like process time, CPU usage, connect
time or disk space usage, provides data that helps the system to adjust the use
of resources between processes. The current BSD-like process accounting that
already exists in Linux collects informations on individual users or groups of
users. The ELSA project aims to improve and extend the monitoring of resources
with different criteria like groups of processes. Another target for this
project is to give Linux an homogeneous set of commands for all kinds of
accounting (memory, CPU and I/O).

  Currently, I have implemented the structure to group process into containers
and I've also written a module to manage those containers and a user program
that shows how you can use it.

  I post in this group because I think that project can interest people that
want to work around Linux kernel. The code is easy to understand and it deals
with different kernel parts like module, /proc interface or process structure
(there is an old patch that implements a system call sys_elsa()). Thus, maybe
some developers want to join the project or give their opinion about the way I
choose to implement ELSA. If you find bugs (there is some) please tell me.

  If you are interested you can found every information on the web site
  http://elsa.sourceforge.net

  I tested the patch-2.6.5-elsa_module by selecting elsa as module when doing
the menuconfig.

Thank you for your help.
Feel free to give your opinion, any comments will be very appreciated.

Guillaume Thouvenin