Re: Installing Linux Kernel 2.6.5

initrd is used for
- systems with limited memory (floppy distros)
- systems with different hardware configurations
- recovery disks

It is discussed here: http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux-kernel/initrd.txt

For your own system, I can't really think of a case where you would need it.

Marc

Hayim Shaul wrote:
I always thought that the ram-disk is necessary to avoid loading the entire kernel during early stages of the boot. thought it was because of memory constrains.

Didn't know a kernel could be loaded directly. If so, what is indeed the reason for initrd?

Hayim