Re: problem with journal buffer - memory interaction

"Anand Eswaran" <aeswaran@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Hi :
>
>    I'm modifying the mm subsystem of Linux 2.4.18 significantly as part
> of an experiment.
>
>     In this regard, I encountered the following specific problem :
>
> 1) In the journalling code in __journal_file_buffer(), line
>
>    J_ASSERT_JH(jh,jh->b_jlist < BJ_Types) fails.
>
>    When I print out the value of jh->b_jlist, I get a large random
> garbage value.
>
>    Could anyone please point out some likely scenarios under which problem
> #1 could occur?

My first guess, if you haven't modified the journalling stuff and
can't find any bug reports for that code, would be that some part of
your patch has a pointer bug whereby you tromp on some of the
journalling code's data accidentally.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/