Re: PCI doubt!

>>>>> "Mandeep" == Mandeep Singh Sandhu <mandeep_sandhu@infosys.com> writes:

Mandeep> 1) where does the PCI configuration space actually reside on
Mandeep>    the hardware?  is it the sitting on the PCI controller or
Mandeep>    on the memory of the NIC itself?

  Can be either one or a combination.

Mandeep> 2) where is the PCI I/O & Memory space usually mapped? is it
Mandeep>    mapped to a certain portion of the RAM?

  PCI I/O space is usually mapped to IA-32 I/O space
(i.e. in[bwd]/out[bwd] insns).  PCI Memory space is mapped to a
physical address.  On non IA-32 architectures I/O space is mapped to a
physical address too.

Mandeep> 3) When the PC boots up does my system BIOS configure these
Mandeep>    memeory regions i.e is there some place from where my
Mandeep>    driver can get an info as to what all memeory regions have
Mandeep>    been requested by a NIC?

 *If* the BIOS did this (e.g. when "Boot with PnP OS" is false), these
regions (as well as IRQs) can be obtained by reading configuration
space header.

Mandeep> 4) When my ethernet driver does a probe can it rely on the
Mandeep>    BIOS (under intel arch.) to provide it with some usefull
Mandeep>    info?

 Generally not, because BIOS can be instructed not to configure
peripherals.

~velco