Kernel development - partitioning best practices?

I'm running Red Hat 9 and would like to experiment with
the 2.6 kernel.  What is the recommended way of setting up my
file systems to do this?

I can just compile and install the kernel and then reboot
my system running 2.6, but I'm not sure that's the best approach.
The problem I'm trying to avoid is that 2.6 requires new
ipchains, module-init-tools, etc.  Installing all these has
a risk of messing up Red Hat 9, if anything is not backwards
compatible.

Would it make sense to boot with a separate / partition to
run 2.6?  I looked at various FAQs, but couldn't find
recommendations on how to partition when using potentially
incompatible kernels.  Any suggestions on the partitioning?

A related question: if I compile and install new module-init-tools
for example, should I worry about the RPM database getting
confused?  (Because a different version will be installed from
what RPM thinks is installed.)

Thank you for any suggestions,
Ken Shirriff