Re: accessing my modules functions from userspace

Kim Schulz wrote:

hi I have recently started to create a realtime ARCnet protocol and
implement it as a linux kernel module. Sofar it works fine, can be
loadet and my testapp (another module) works fine to. Now I want to make the functionality available to a program in
userspace. I have functions like bind,connect, recieve and send (ofcause
with non-conflicting names) and these are in a module of it's own. I thought that I by including the headerfile for the module in my
userspace app, then I could access them that way (the functions are
declared as extern). However I found out that this is not the case. So what should I do now? how do I access my module from userspace?

Userspace applications can call kernel code via system calls. If u want to provide some new functionality to
userspace applications, you will need to declare the functions that you have written(bind, connect, recieve...) as system calls, and compile the same into the kernel

moreover, why do u need to implement a new protocol in this way? cant you define a hook for the new protocol (unique protocol number) and use the existing socket calls?

Best regards and thanx
Kim Schulz,
Department of Control engineering, University of Aalborg, Denmark
Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/