any particular reason why c and not c++

Hi Guys
     Well as I was going through the sources and it struck me that that the
entire kernel is an implementation of the oops concepts on c. The concepts of
inheritannce, functional and data abstraction, data hiding, data given a
priority than functions i.e data encapsulated by functions etc....are applied
in c. So why dont they convert it to c++. Furthermore the designing and
implemantation would be enhanced with the various uml tools available. why c
and not c++ i dont understand? anyway as an attempt to understand the kernel
and to investigate this question i have begun to modify my kernel to an
object oriented one(c++ wise ). if anyone has strong arguements on why my
attempt may be or may NOT be rewarding, please let me know.

Regards
Nix