using /proc for input (module)

Hi folks,
I am trying to code an example from  "The Linux Kernel Module Programming
Guide". One of the examples is using a /proc file for input.(chapter 6)

The author uses the file_operations field of the inode_operations struct to
set up the field for reading.
Basically he creates a file_operations struct with the right values and then
sets the file_operations field in the inode_operations struct which is in turn
used in the proc_dir_entry.

But in 2.4.20 , the inode_operations struct doe not have a file_operations
member. So the technique described cannot be used(IMHO). How can I achieve
the same result in 2.4.20?
There is no function called create_proc_write_entry() similar to
create_proc_read_entry().

Any help is appreciated .
Thanks in advance.
Vijay