Re: "No module aic7xxx found for kernel" 2.5.69

> From: Ravi <kravi26 () yahoo ! com>
> Here is a guess: You have aic7xxx linked into the
> kernel (not as a module), but mkinitrd is looking
> for a module by that name in the modules directory.
> The install.sh script calls /sbin/installkernel,
> which is usually provided by the distribution
> vendor.

Progress!  From this hint, after some study, we
noticed our /etc/modules.conf mentioned our unused
Adaptec PCI SCSI card, yet `find` says our
/lib/modules/ folder contained no .o and no .o.gz,
only .ko.

So we tried actually unplugging our card.  In the next
boot, Red Hat's Kudzu automagically deleted our card
from /etc/modules.conf and consequently our 2.5.69
`make install` then completed without error.

Maybe someday we will discover why asking `make
xconfig` to build the module didn't help.

> ... looks like a bug in 'mkinitrd' ...

The error string "found for kernel" seemingly came
from that script.

Having completed `make install`, we tried booting.
Boot ended with the following three message lines
(transcribed by hand):

VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I figure we should begin again way back at `make
mrproper` with our new /etc/modules.conf in place,
just to be maximally clean.

Also we can move on to trying to configure our new
kernel to match the 2.4 kernels we made, installed,
and booted successfully.

> From: Pat LaVarre [p.lavarre@ieee.org]
> Date: 2003-05-29 15:38:40

I'll write again to say if substituting `make dep &&
make bzImage && make modules` for `make` helps.

Offline kindly I received a guess that such a
substitution might help, but in 2.5.69 trying `make
dep` provokes: "*** Warning: make dep is unnecessary
now."

Pat LaVarre