Re: usb reset questions

First off, this probably isn't the best place for questions like this,
the linux-usb-devel list is the better place.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:54:13AM -0700, Steve Miller wrote:
> I have a USB device that when claiming a device must load a firmware
> patch, reset the device, and then force a re-enumeration with new
> descriptors loaded by the patch.

I think some of the ethernet usb devices do this already, have you
looked at them?

> In one case the device will actually
> need to get claimed by a different driver.  I have managed to get the
> patch loaded and the port reset, but I'm still not clear on how to get
> rif of the old descriptors and force the usbcore driver to start over.

It's not an easy thing to do, the usb core really wants to hold on to
that device :)

I think in 2.5 it's a bit easier to do now, as there are functions to
call to "disconnect" the device from the driver core, and then you can
"reconnect" it.  I'd recommend looking at the devio.c code in 2.5 for
how to do that (I think it's in there somewhere...)

Hope this helps.

greg k-h