Re: Looking for kernel sources documentation

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:24:15PM +0100, Michael Svetlik wrote:
> First, a marginal problem, one here might be able to help with:
> 'make htmldocs' in a 2.5 kernel source tree requires some
> 'fig2dev' executable - Perl, sh, ELF, whatever. Neither apropos,
> man, locate, nor google has an answer on my question 'What's this ?'
> So, does anyone here know about that very secret piece ?

Fig2dev is part of the transfig package, which is usually packaged
together with xfig (which is the only sane drawing program I know, but
that's just my 2 cents).

> Oops, I nearly forgot to say: the same make target requires some
> ./drivers/char/serial.c, with isn't present in my 2.5.28. It is listed in
> ./Documentation/DocBook/Makefile. Does anyone know how to
> get some serial.c file ;-) or what's to do to get it running, respectively ?

The serial driver layer got a complete rewrite, so the file is no
longer there. I haven't followed the exact details, but my guess is
that generic_serial.c is what you're looking for.

> In the end, I'm looking for some _good_ kernel sources docs, like those
> for the glibc on http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.2.5/html_mono/libc.html.
> I've checked lxr, tldp and a lot of other sources, but didn't find anything
> really pretty. Some hints would be welcome.

The source *is* your documentation. Linux kernel development is that
fast that any documentation released today is already outdated by the
changes in the source. The in kernel documentation that "make htmldocs"
generates is usually up-to-date.

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw