Looking for kernel sources documentation

First, a marginal problem, one here might be able to help with:
'make htmldocs' in a 2.5 kernel source tree requires some
'fig2dev' executable - Perl, sh, ELF, whatever. Neither apropos,
man, locate, nor google has an answer on my question 'What's this ?'
So, does anyone here know about that very secret piece ?

Oops, I nearly forgot to say: the same make target requires some
./drivers/char/serial.c, with isn't present in my 2.5.28. It is listed in
./Documentation/DocBook/Makefile. Does anyone know how to
get some serial.c file ;-) or what's to do to get it running, respectively ?

In the end, I'm looking for some _good_ kernel sources docs, like those
for the glibc on http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.2.5/html_mono/libc.html.
I've checked lxr, tldp and a lot of other sources, but didn't find anything
really pretty. Some hints would be welcome.

TIA
Michael