Re: IDE for kernel code

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:57:48PM -0800, nitin panjwani wrote:
> Well, I haven't used any of these before. I am using
> nedit, which is very simple, but not poweful enough. I
> will like to pick randomly one which is light and very
> easy to use and extensible.
>
> can you please suggest one...I will take your words.

Nitin, any vi clone will take several days to really get the hang of. I
think it is time well spent[1] to learn a vi clone, but it will take you
some time before you would be truly comfortable with it.

On the other hand, you could probably start using emacs or xemacs today
and be as productive as you are with nedit.

There are other choices, but these two are most popular. With either
one, you will get back more than what you put into them -- five minutes
spent learning either one will probably save you more than that much
time at some point in the future.

I'd wager further discussion should happen elsewhere... ;)

[1]: practically every unix system has vi available; so, if you get
caught in some oddball situation with only vi, cat, and echo, for your
text editors, you will be glad to know at least _some_ vi commands.

--
Outlook users: please do not put my email address in your address book.
This way, when you get infected with a virus, my address won't appear in