Re: IDE for kernel code

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:21:45PM -0800, nitin panjwani wrote:
> I was just wondering if any good IDE available for
> writing/reading kernel and device drivers code.

This is quickly becoming a FAQ, so I've prepared a FAQ entry for it --
John, if you could please integrate as you have time, I'd appreciate it.
:)

Q: Are there any good IDEs? How do I handle all this code?

A: When dealing with a source base as large as the kernel, it certainly
helps to have software tools to help understand how the pieces fit
together. Perhaps the most important tool is a good programmers's
text editor. Popular choices are emacs and any vi clone, such as <a
href="http://www.vim.org/";>vim</a>. Generally, text editors written for
programmers are programable and have features such as syntax highlighting,
text folding, brace matching, and easy integration with source management
tools, such as make(1), cvs(1), text reformatting, man page lookups,
and more.

Most popular is a tool to quickly find uses, definitions, and
declarations, of C symbols. grep(1) is almost always available, and
the more powerful version, egrep(1), is very useful to know. But
grep(1) requires searching every file on every lookup. Tools
such as <a href="http://cscope.sourceforge.net/";>cscope</a>,
href="http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/etags.1.html";>etags</a>,
href="http://www.gnu.org/directory/text/editors/idutils.html";>idutils</a>
build databases to use when searching for C symbols. Each has their own
idiosyncrasies and features. Some integrate better with your text editor
of choice. (Look especially for plugins to help with integration.)

it doesn't appear to use a database to speed searches.

--
"I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling
to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are