Re: Overrinding ".config"

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:48:27AM +0200, Gilad Benjamini wrote:
> However, some of us are now using a slightly different hw platform,
> which requires a minor adjustment for kernel configuration.
> Other config options should keep sync between people.
> Now there are pros and cons for sharing ".config"

If it were my problem, I'd probably have .config.compaq, .config.hp,
.config.ibm, .config.dell, .config.apple, .config.gateway, all under
your tool's control, and have your build process copy or symlink the
.config.foo of your choice into .config, before running make.

When you make a change to a .config file, make before and after copies,
so that you may diff them; chances are good, depending on the changes,
that the diff will easily apply to the other machine .configs. If not,
it ought to be easy enough to do by hand on occasion.

(Another option is to programmatically modify a single .config file
based on some rules for the changes using a tool such as perl or sed.)

--
The Bill of Rights: 7 out of 10 rights haven't been sold yet! Contact
your congressman for details how *you* can buy one today!