Re: shared memory

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:33:47PM -0500, C. Gould wrote:
> From what I can tell the kernel provides 3 ways to share memory: sysV,
> POSIX, and mmap. Is this correct?
> Is one mechanism better than the other?

To my understanding, mmap is available practically everywhere. SysV
shared memory is also available practically everywhere. It is my
understanding the posix shared memory isn't yet available everywhere.

A caveat of sysv shared memory (and probably posix shared memory) is
that it can persist even if all 'using processes' have exited. This can
be good and bad, depending on your point of view.

> Do all these shared memory mechanisms
> create a tmpfs file and share memory through this file?

Ah, I don't know this bit. I expect internally they do about the same
thing, but if it happens at the tmpfs level or lower, I just do not know.

--
"In God we trust, all others we monitor."
 -- NSA, Intercept Operators's motto, 1970