Re: enabling login on the serial console - problems

> I've enabled console over serial for the kernel, and am
> running agetty over the serial to accept logins:
>
> agetty 115200 ttyS0 vt100
>
> When i call up my terminal program (in this case
> hyperterminal (no flames pls)) i see the prompt and
> proceed to login. The  problem is, i keep getting a
> "Login incorrect" message - even  if i know that
> my pass is correct! (I login with the same name and
> pass on keyboard and monitor and i get through)

 Are you trying to login as root? The file /etc/securetty
lists all tty devices considered 'secure' for a root
login. If ttyS0 is not listed in there, you won't be
able to login as root over serial console.

> One strange thing (that i've yet to figure out) is that
> the moment i hit "enter" after entering the user id at
> the terminal, i will automatically logout from the shell
> from which i launched agetty!

 'agetty' will exit after you login once. So running it
from a shell doesn't help. You can create an entry in
inittab so that it keeps getting respawned. But this
still doesn't explain why the shell itself exits.
Tracing agetty with strace might help.

-Ravi.