enabling login on the serial console - problems

hi guys, i've been taking a look at logging in over the serial but am
encountering some problems.

I've enabled console over serial for the kernel, and am running agetty
over the serial to accept logins:

agetty 115200 ttyS0 vt100

When i call up my terminal program (in this case hyperterminal (no flames
pls)) i see the prompt and proceed to login. The problem is, i keep
getting a "Login incorrect" message - even if i know that my pass is
correct! (I login with the same name and pass on keyboard and monitor and
i get through)

It doesnt seem to be a case with the login binary, since both mingetty
(which is what is used for the virtual console) and agetty both use this
same binary.

It doesnt seem to be a problem with hyperterm as well, since i set the
terminal emulation to vt100 (i've also tried with "auto detect")

One strange thing (that i've yet to figure out) is that the moment i hit
"enter" after entering the user id at the terminal, i will automatically
logout from the shell from which i launched agetty!

Has anybody tried logging in over the serial and succeeded? I am kind of
stumped right now and would certainly appreciate some help.

thanks
-jf

--
  "It's an extraordinary world!" - jfsworld <at> fastmail.fm