RE: building linux kernel problems

Hi Haijin,

PCI devices have unique numbers for identification, so the PCI subsystem can
match devices to drivers by asking the drivers if a detected device's class
and ID numbers are known to them. This applies to modules as well as drivers
built into the kernel. It's really a bit more complicated than that, but
that's the basic idea. Drivers identify their own devices when asked.

I could not get X to run on Red Hat 7.3 base release, either. I have not
tried the errata kernels to see when it was fixed. It would hang when the
first menu selection was clicked after logging in. So, I run them with text
consoles. My remote access is via telnet, so I really don't need to use X at
all.

Go to Red Hat's support page and look at the errata descriptions. The fix
has probably been there for a while. I just haven't looked for it.

Good luck,
Ed

Ed Vance              edv (at) macrolink (dot) com
Macrolink, Inc.       1500 N. Kellogg Dr  Anaheim, CA  92807