RE: building linux kernel problems

On Thu, November 07, 2002 at 9:43 AM, Haijin Yan wrote:
> Hi, Ed,
>     Thanks for your help.
>     The same problems appeared again. I looked the bootable kernel's
> System.map, there is no journal_restart. etc. also. I am
> totally confused
> now, I used the same method to build two machines before, one
> of them even
> have a SCSI disk.
>     other recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Haijin
>
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Ed Vance wrote:
>
> > On Thu, November 07, 2002 at 8:49 AM, Haijin Yan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   I installed linux redhat 7.2 with 2.4.18-3 kernel, since
> > > the kernel.org
> > > only supplies kernel source of 2.4.18, I downloaded it
> and rebuilt the
> > > kernel 2.4.18, the reason I did this is because when I
> > > compile a kernel
> > > module using 2.4.18 src code, I can not install it into
> > > 2.4.18-3 kernel.
> > >
> > > I did make menuconfig, make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make
> > > modules, make modules_install, and copied System.map and
> > > bzImage to /boot
> > > partition and /sbin/mkinitrd the proper initrd.img file,
> > > grup.conf is also
> > > changed, but after booting, it prompted
> > > /lib/ext3.o unresolved symbol journal_restart
> > > /lib/ext3.o unresolved symbol journal_abort
> > > [...]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the "make modules_install", try "make install"
> instead of manually
> > copying things to /boot.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Ed

Hi Haijin,

Do you just want to rebuild your Red Hat 7.3 kernel to change the build
options or add a driver? Load the kernel-source rpm from the distribution
CDs and build that. It's on Red Hat Linux 7.3 CD 2 under
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS. The file name is
kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm. That way you will have the same patches
applied that were in the original kernel. The default kernel builds and
installs fine on my systems.

I have never seen these messages from ext3. Are you building with ext3 in a
module instead of in the kernel? I don't know if the root filesystem's
support must be in the kernel, but I would try it with ext3 selected to go
into the kernel. I've never tried it as a module.

Good luck,
Ed

Ed Vance              edv (at) macrolink (dot) com
Macrolink, Inc.       1500 N. Kellogg Dr  Anaheim, CA  92807