Re: CPU information.

Momchil Velikov wrote:
> Yep. 88100/25Mhz and 88110/50Mhz on a MVME :)

wow! 25-50Mhz? i wasn't aware it has been so long ago

> The other end of the spectrum are rather VLIW CPUs, e.g. TI TMS320C6xxx
> series.  The "weird" thing (which I like _very_ much :) is that there's
> no pipeline interlock, so if you have (not a C6x assembly):

that's exactly what i meant; didn't the 88K had an execution mode to work this
way?  it wasn't VLIW, but i'm pretty sure i read about that on a motorola
article

i do find it weird, but at the time i thought it was brilliant.  aparently not
many uP engineers agree with us these days!

> MTAs switch to the next insn stream every clock.

_every_ clock? or just to avoid memory/cache stalls?

> There are 128 HW threads, each having its own set of registers,
> instruction pointer, etc.

sounds like a lot... but i think registers are cheap these days.  even the P4
has 128 internal registers to do renaming on just 8 visible registers

we're getting OT now... i think the original questions about being it
worthwhile to wait for a new P4 with HT are clear as mud, with a "definite
maybe" conclusion.

-----
Javier