RE: module version

from http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/faq.html#I5

If you can't load pwcx.o because of these messages:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o
depmod:         pwc_unregister_decompressor
depmod:         pwc_register_decompressor
depmod:         printk

then you have a kernel with version information on module symbols turned on.
Recompile and/or install a kernel with this option turned off. And yes, that
is the only way.
-------
Is there a way to automatically load PWCX after the PWC module?
Yes, there is! John Rodkey sent me a tip; add this to your
/etc/modules.conf:

post-install pwc /sbin/insmod --force /lib/modules/usb/pwcx-i386.o
>/dev/null 2>&1  || :

You may of course have to change the path to the pwcx module, depending on
your setup. Now everytime pwc is loaded (either by modprobe or the kerneld),
pwcx will loaded too. You will need the --force option because the pwcx
kernel version will probably not match yours. And oh, since pwcx is kernel
independant, you should indeed install it in /lib/modules/usb, instead of
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/usb.

can you comment on these?