Re: memory that can be sent to usb control msg

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:45:42PM -0700, John Tyner wrote:

> The problem isn't trying to send that much memory. The device is a camera,
> and I was trying to allocate and array of frames but only pass one at a time
> down. I guess I'll rethink that design. :)

Is the data getting sent to the camera, or received from the camera?
And what kind of usb endpoints is the data sent on (isoc, bulk, etc.)?

> If you (or anyone else has time) can you explain the purpose of the
> rvmalloc/rvfree and uvirt_to_kva/kvirt_to_pa functions in the bttv and cpia
> drivers do? And is there a generic replacement for these as the comments in
> those drivers suggest?

Take a look at the most recent versions of these functions in the
2.4.20-pre8 kernel for an example of how most of this has been cleaned
up.  But I have no idea what they are doing here :)

> (I'm writing a driver for 2.4 driver at the moment.)

Any reason you're not doing it for 2.5 first?  I've heard the USB
maintainer will not accept drivers for only 2.4, they have to also work
in 2.5...  :)

Also, the USB api has changed in 2.5, so I'd _really_ recommend you work
in that tree.  These changes are getting slowly backported to 2.4, so
it's not like the 2.4 api will be around much longer.

thanks,

greg k-h