memory that can be sent to usb control msg

I'm trying to write a usb driver. When I try to send a message to the usb
device with either memory allocated at compile time or memory allocated with
vmalloc (I'm allocating more than a page, so I thought vmalloc was better
than kmalloc in this instance), the memory allocated at compile time doesn't
work at all, and the memory allocated with vmalloc seems to come back
corrupted.

kmalloc seems to work in these cases, but I'm limited in the amount of
memory I can allocate with kmalloc.

I would like to use the memory being allocated by rvmalloc which can be
found in the bttv and cpia drivers, but this doesn't work either (since it
uses vmalloc_32 to allocate its memory).

Can someone explain why this is or possibly even tell me how to get around
it?

Thanks.
John