Re: memory that can be sent to usb control msg

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:45:18PM -0700, John Tyner wrote:
> I'm trying to write a usb driver. When I try to send a message to the usb
> device with either memory allocated at compile time or memory allocated with
> vmalloc (I'm allocating more than a page, so I thought vmalloc was better
> than kmalloc in this instance), the memory allocated at compile time doesn't
> work at all, and the memory allocated with vmalloc seems to come back
> corrupted.
>
> kmalloc seems to work in these cases, but I'm limited in the amount of
> memory I can allocate with kmalloc.

The USB core needs memory that is created with kmalloc.  Why would you
be wanting to send a larger buffer in one shot through the USB core than
what you can create with kmalloc?

How large of a buffer do you want to try to send at one time?  And why
can't you split it up into tiny buffers, like the USB device wants?

What kind of USB device is this driver for?

thanks,

greg k-h