Re: module_info file+

Edward Gerhold wrote:

 > Jan Hudec wrote:

 >>> Did you mean the 'module_info' file? I don't know what that file
 >>> does, but I'm sure you don't have to create/update it when you
 >>> rebuild the kernel. Or even if you want to boot with a different
 >>> kernel version.
 >>

 >> I don't _know_ it either (I don't use redhat), but it seems like some
 >> redhat management stuff keeps info about installed modules there. So I
 >> would expect this to be built by redhat kernel packages and possibly
 >> used by some init script.This is just a wild guess however.
 >

 > Is it like having to read "man /boot/module_info" instead of
 > "/etc/modules.conf". Then having to search for modprobe in the bootscript.
 > To see how the modules are loaded. Or IS THE MODULE_INFO FILE SOME OTHER
 > TABLE ?

I FORGOT THE QUESTION MARKS. Looks funny.

 > I have only SuSE 7.2.

To see that i can't compare with your module_info file and the redhat system,
a directory listing of my /boot directory. A regular SuSE 7.2 Distribution.
A manpage for module_info isn't here. Apropos tells me nothing appropriate.
Whatis tells the same. Whereis says module_info:. locate says locate: warning:
  database '/var/lib/locatedb' is more than 8 days old. (my mindcopy of /var,
too) ... A Suse Distribution can't help you here. The modules.conf seems to be
close to be correctly guessed, if module_info is not a binary.

Edward

.
..
System.map-2.4.4-4GB