Doubt - kdbg remote debugger using null modem cable

Hi,

I'm working on kdbg remote debugger using null modem cable.
I patched the kernel source with the kdbg patch.Thereafter, I copied the kernel image into the /boot directory of the target
machine. Now I have a doubt regarding null modem cable.
Using 2  9 pin to 25 pin connectors,I made a null modem cable. 9 pin ends
of the cable were connected to the machines(COM ports).
Before going to remote debugging, I wanted to check whether back-to-back
connection is proper or not. So I wrote into the COM port  of the development m/c (/dev/ttyS0) and tried it read on
the target m/c from the COM port (/dev/ttyS0) using "cat" command
 as  follows:

    Dev. m/c:
        cat <file> > /dev/ttyS0

    Tar m/c
        cat  /dev/ttyS0

   Unfortunately the expected is not happening.
   First of all, I want to know the null modem cable which I'm using is
proper.
    Please help me in this regard.
     Waiting for your reply.

Regards,