Re: Linux route intialization

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:03:33PM +0530, G.B.Naidu wrote:
> If I correctly understood your question - Where does the interface
> configuration is stored, so that when ever the interface starts/re-starts,
> the route gets added to the routing table? If so,
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scrpts/ifcfg-eth<x> files have the IP address,
> netmask etc. That should provide the needed information to add a static
> route.

Well, it depends. I have that information in /etc/network/interfaces.
That's because I use debian scripts and they use ifup/ifdown. The above
mentioned is RedHat's way IIRC. Other distros may have other places.

Anyway, kernel never read files. The routing tables have to be setup
using `route' command or some command that ends up calling route (like
`ifup'). This command must be somewhere in your RC scripts. And in that
script you can find/set where the information should be stored.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>