Re: case sensitivity

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 21:58, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:11:24PM +0200, petter wahlman wrote:
> > I am working in a hetrougenous development envoronment that share code
> > through a source revision constrol system (not CVS). This is causing
> > some problems (make, etc.) when e.g a source file has an include
> > statement with incorrect case. This can easily be fixed, but it is not
> > convinient when having to correct many files.
>
> Ah, every time I hear this, I recall a statement by one of the Unix or C
> luminaries, describing whey they couldn't fix an acknowledged problem in
> Unix or C. (I wish I could recall more specifically. Citations
> welcomed. :) The quote goes something along the lines of, "We couldn't
> make a change like that; there were already a dozen installations with
> over 300 kilobytes of source code."
>
> > So, why are 'linux' filesystems case sensitive?
>
> Because Linux is modeled after Unix system, which for roughly twenty
> years before the first version of Linux was released used case sensitive
> filesystems. All the users expected case sensitive filesystems.

Agreed.
This is mostly a matter of personal preference, but the option to make
the FS case insensitive would certainly be a usefull feature - I do not
think that I am the only one experiensing such problems.

> > I have briefly looked at the VFS code, and are uncertain of what parts
> > to change. Is it sufficient to only change fs/dcache: d_lookup?
>
> My guess is that this isn't likely. I bet you will need to change a
> _lot_ of code, filesystem-specific and in the VFS layer. I'd be curious
> to hear how it goes, but I don't expect it is within the range of most
> organization's budgets.

Hmm..I had hoped that changing the VFS would be sufficient, but you
might be right.
Making sure d_name is lowercase would probably work, but
I want the FS to be able to use uppercase letters aswell.
Sadly I do not have any organizations to fund such a change, and not as
much spare time as I'd like.
Any voluntaries :-)

> Actually, thinking about it, I bet the MSDOS FAT filesystem already
> implemented case-insensitive code. You could just use FAT and be done
> with it. VFAT code might be case insensitive too, so you might still get
> long filenames out of the deal.

Indeed. VFAT has a dentry operation: d_compare = vfat_cmpi wich can be
activated on mount (check=relaxed).
Argh, maybe I should say bye, bye to my journaling FS and degrade to
VFAT.
This actually seems like the best sollution.

Thanks.

> I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

I'll give some feedback on the d_lookup change when I reboot (no UML or
vmware on this machine yet)