Re: case sensitivity

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:11:24PM +0200, petter wahlman wrote:
> I am working in a hetrougenous development envoronment that share code
> through a source revision constrol system (not CVS). This is causing
> some problems (make, etc.) when e.g a source file has an include
> statement with incorrect case. This can easily be fixed, but it is not
> convinient when having to correct many files.

Ah, every time I hear this, I recall a statement by one of the Unix or C
luminaries, describing whey they couldn't fix an acknowledged problem in
Unix or C. (I wish I could recall more specifically. Citations
welcomed. :) The quote goes something along the lines of, "We couldn't
make a change like that; there were already a dozen installations with
over 300 kilobytes of source code."

> So, why are 'linux' filesystems case sensitive?

Because Linux is modeled after Unix system, which for roughly twenty
years before the first version of Linux was released used case sensitive
filesystems. All the users expected case sensitive filesystems.

> I have briefly looked at the VFS code, and are uncertain of what parts
> to change. Is it sufficient to only change fs/dcache: d_lookup?

My guess is that this isn't likely. I bet you will need to change a
_lot_ of code, filesystem-specific and in the VFS layer. I'd be curious
to hear how it goes, but I don't expect it is within the range of most
organization's budgets.

Actually, thinking about it, I bet the MSDOS FAT filesystem already
implemented case-insensitive code. You could just use FAT and be done
with it. VFAT code might be case insensitive too, so you might still get
long filenames out of the deal.

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

--
New GPG key coming soon, please grab D9B0A099 before this one expires.