Re: Preserving Memory Area Across Reboot

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:47:28AM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:33:44PM -0700, Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> > arch is ppc & i dont have 2nd storage. What other option i have?
> Buying an NVRAM card? Doing all storage over a network?

Actually, I have an idea (which is generaly a bad thing to happen).

I have notice that, on recent XFree86 version, the vesa driver has a bug.
It first display the screen, then clears the video memory (so we have some
leftover from the last time we used the video on vesa mode). Does that
implies that the graphic video memory is not reset (or touched) on a reboot ?
I don't know. But maybe you can try saving data there, if you don't need to
much space (I did not get the first messages of the thread, sorry).

There is also some leftover memory on other device, you may try using.

Anyway, my experience is only with IA32 platform, so your mileage may
vary on ppc.

[]s

 Rodrigo Barbosa                   - rodrigob at tisbrasil.com.br
 TIS 				   - Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
 "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"  - http://www.tisbrasil.com.br/
 Brainbench Certified -> Transcript ID #3332104