Re: Preserving Memory Area Across Reboot

well well... (getting nostalgic now) I remember the
days when we had DOS.. and graphic cards had more
memory available...

so we had all these crazy memory managers that used to
move out the data in these regions to increase the
memory available in the 640K region!!!!! (the EMM from
Quarterdeck.. called this 'stealth' technique.. yes
considering that the F117 was in rage then.. and even
won accolades from the top magazines as the best
memory manager)

well well we sure have come a long way since then..
but hey if it can be done and if there is an advantage
I don't see why we cant..

but the question remains.. we don't have any reliable
means of restoring the memory after a reboot..

BTW: I read this in the apm (advanced power management
spec).. the BIOS can swap the memory contents to the
disk and go into a suspend.. and after wakeup restores
it from the physical store.. quiet interesting....

-Sharath

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:47:28AM -0700, Seth
> Arnold wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:33:44PM -0700, Usman S.
> Ansari wrote:
> > > arch is ppc & i dont have 2nd storage. What
> other option i have?
> > Buying an NVRAM card? Doing all storage over a
> network?
>
> Actually, I have an idea (which is generaly a bad
> thing to happen).
>
> I have notice that, on recent XFree86 version, the
> vesa driver has a bug.
> It first display the screen, then clears the video
> memory (so we have some
> leftover from the last time we used the video on
> vesa mode). Does that
> implies that the graphic video memory is not reset
> (or touched) on a reboot ?
> I don't know. But maybe you can try saving data
> there, if you don't need to
> much space (I did not get the first messages of the
> thread, sorry).
>
> There is also some leftover memory on other device,
> you may try using.
>
> Anyway, my experience is only with IA32 platform, so
> your mileage may
> vary on ppc.
>
> []s

=====