How To make Acer 3300U scanner work under linux

Hi There,

I have a USB supported scanner (Acer 3300U) and I want to make it work
under linux. I have Kernel 2.4 (Mandrake 8.1).

Please let me know what all I have to do.

* I need to re-compile the kernel with USB support? (Please let me know
what all things I need to select while configuring kernel - in detail).
* Should I compile the USB support into the kernel or should I opt to
install the USB support as Modules? Which one is better?
* Finally which SANE version supports my scanner.

Do let me know "in detail" as I have tried a lot before posting
this. I re-compiled the kernel (once with USB support compiled into the
kernel & once with Module USB support). Nothing seems to be working.

Please, Please, Please give me every minor detail of what should be done
right from the scratch.
(U can just give some links to good webpages for the same).

Also I need to know about the changes to be made to the source code of
SANE (".conf" files & things like that & any firmware upload details....)

Thanks a lot,

I am waiting.

Imtiaz.