Re: linux kernel module programming guide: RFC

begin: John Levon <movement@marcelothewonderpenguin.com> quote
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:47:10PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > 	http://www.dirac.org/linux/writing/    (sgml tarball or postscript)
>
> this won't compile for me.
>
> sgml-tools-1.0.9-9
> sgml-common-0.1-10
> psgml-1.2.1-8
> docbook-3.1-7

looks like you're using debian?   i'm running woody on this machine:

ii  sgml-base      1.10           utilities to maintain the SGML catalog file
ii  sgml-data      1.5.3          common SGML DTDs and entities
ii  sgml-tools     1.0.9.dummy-93 Replaced by linuxdoc-tools (dummy package fo
ii  sgmltools-2    2.0.2.dummy-7  Replaced by sgmltools-lite (dummy package fo
ii  sgmltools-lite 3.0.3.0.cvs.20 convert DocBook SGML source into HTML using
ii  docbook        4.1-6          SGML DTD for authors of technical documentat
ii  docbook-doc    30d10-5        Documentation for the DocBook DTD.
ii  docbook-dsssl  1.73-1         Modular DocBook DSSSL stylesheets, for print
ii  docbook-to-man 2.0.0-9        Converter from DocBook SGML into roff -man m

> what versions do I need ? Can you provide an HTML version for easy reading ?

sure.   heh heh.  i need to figure out how to convert docbook to sgml.  i'll
post it to my website in a few hours.  and THEN i'm spending the rest of the
night on schoolwork.   :)

> I'm really glad you've taken this project on ;)

it had to be done.   it was a really good guide -- well organized, written in
a nice easy-to-read familiar language.  but it was utterly out of date.  and
ori got so busy towards the end that mistakes weren't getting corrected.
i sincerely hope that people like the job i do as much as his original
effort.

> I will be glad to help with corrections for stuff I know. I'm also planning
> to add a section on maintaining external kernel modules.

very cool!   :-)

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002