kernel module locking up

I seem to be newer than most at this but here goes...

I moved a kernel driver that was written by someone else for the truetime
irig card from the 2.2 kernel to 2.4.  All seems to be working except for
one thing.  The card generates interrupts at a configured interval and when
this is done in 2.4 it locks up the system (worked great in 2.2).  So now
I'm trying to debug just what's causing this.

It appears that after the following code (particularly the last line - where
FASYNC is enabled), the system locks.

  /* enable asynchronous notification with signal SIGIO */
  fcntl(fd, F_SETOWN, getpid());
  oflags = fcntl(fd, F_GETFL);
  fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, (long) (oflags | FASYNC));

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the fasync: in file_operations is
actually used for or point me to a place tha it might be described in
detail?  This seems, at this point to be where my problem lies.

Thanks in advance!
-