proxy and quotas

I'm trying to get quotas working. Earlier I posted a query about the proxy module not working correctly. In my attempts to diagnose the problem I came up with another issue.

Right now, the 'guests' - those users who do not have credentials - use an unsecured network. I am trying to figure out how to limit them to a quota.

However, I also have proxy which gives my guests the ability to get to the internet either directly through the FORWARD chain or via the proxy through the INPUT chain.

So.... If I want to limit a user to a hard quota, how should I structure my iptables rules?

Not all packets go through the PREROUTING chain, and once the routing decision is done, they go either through the INPUT chain to the proxy or through the FORWARD chain to the outside via POSTROUTING.

On the return leg they repeat the process; come in on PREROUTING, get de-MASQ'd, and either go through FORWARD or INPUT and then out to the guest user via POSTROUTING.

I could put my accounting rules in POSTROUTING but then I lose the source or destination information.

Is there a place in PRE- or POSTROUTING that is guaranteed to see every packet?

Thanks.