Re: packet marking

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 02:04:23PM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> I have been reading man pages and googling and I am not finding
> understanding.  maybe somebody can explain:
>
> under my mangle table (using iptables-restore to load):
>
> -A PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --dport 4500 -j MARK --set-mark 30
> -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.171.0/24 -m mark ! --mark 30 -j MARK --set-mark 40
> -A PREROUTING -m mark --mark 30 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX30
> -A PREROUTING -m mark --mark 40 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX40
>
> This logs packets with both marks.
>
> If I change the LOG target to POSTROUTING, like so:
>
> -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 30 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX30
> -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 40 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX40
>
> only packets with the mark 40 are logged.  I think it should log both.
>
> If I consult the nfpacket flow chart, nat/PREROUTING comes after
> mangle/PREROUTING, and I cannot log packets with a mark of 30 there
> either.
>
> Traffic keeps flowing, so the packets themselves are not being
> dropped, but the mark apparently is not passed from the initial
> chain. Everything I have read indicates it should be.  what could I
> have done (or not done) to make this happen?  Or better yet, what
> should I be reading that would explain this?  I get the feeling I am
> overlooking something really obvious...

Without seeing a complete set of rules and without knowing what do the
packets look like (and your network configuration), I'm afraid it would
be only a guesswork.

The "vpnX30" log prefix sounds like there is some kind of VPN involved.
So are those packets being sent on really the same packets you mark in
PREROUTING?

                                                        Michal Kubecek