packet marking

I have been reading man pages and googling and I am not finding understanding. maybe somebody can explain:

under my mangle table (using iptables-restore to load):

-A PREROUTING -p udp -m udp --dport 4500 -j MARK --set-mark 30
-A PREROUTING -s 192.168.171.0/24 -m mark ! --mark 30 -j MARK --set-mark 40
-A PREROUTING -m mark --mark 30 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX30
-A PREROUTING -m mark --mark 40 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX40

This logs packets with both marks.

If I change the LOG target to POSTROUTING, like so:

-A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 30 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX30
-A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 40 -j LOG --log-prefix vpnX40

only packets with the mark 40 are logged.  I think it should log both.

If I consult the nfpacket flow chart, nat/PREROUTING comes after mangle/PREROUTING, and I cannot log packets with a mark of 30 there either.

Traffic keeps flowing, so the packets themselves are not being dropped, but the mark apparently is not passed from the initial chain. Everything I have read indicates it should be. what could I have done (or not done) to make this happen? Or better yet, what should I be reading that would explain this? I get the feeling I am overlooking something really obvious...
--
Computerisms
Bob Miller