Re: Usefulness of xt_recent's "last seen" and "oldest_pkt" on a tickless system

On 01/11/2015 12:49 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
The jifs/sec is set by CONFIG_HZ, for which a common kernel only
offers the compile-time choices of 100, 250, 300, 1000, not 2150.
If you find a value of 2150, you are probably looking at the wrong
value, or have a heavily modified custom kernel.
Nope. Standard Ubuntu 14.04 low latency kernel. And the value is computed by looking at the btime field in /proc/timer_list (not /proc/stat - my bad). Moreover, I can tell by causing a packet to be logged at a known time in a xt_recent rule, looking at the last_seen field, and then computing the ratio of the known time expressed as seconds since boot, and in jiffies from the kernel.

TTBONK, there is no reliable way for userspace to tell the value of
CONFIG_HZ, so yes, _showing_ jiffies in /proc/net/xt_recent is
useless - but at least you can compare the numbers against each other
(not that that seems useful, either).

Agreed.