Re: Usefulness of xt_recent's "last seen" and "oldest_pkt" on a tickless system

On 01/11/2015 04:23 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

are just a count of the number of jiffies since boot. However, on a
tickless kernel, there is really no well defined number of jiffies per
second as far as I can tell

You might want to have a look at
static void tick_do_update_jiffies64(ktime_t now) in
kernel/time/tick-sched.c ;-)

Thanks for the reply - at least now I know somebody is listening.

However, I looked over the function in question, and it does not seem to address my points:

1) It's a kernel only function. I am concerned about access from user space.
2) By inspection, my machine is running a jiffies per second value that varies between 2145 and 2150 jiffies per second (computed by reading the jiffies value from /proc/stat and reading the time since boot in seconds). There's simply no way to use a number with that much variability to compute when a packet was received - there has to be some way to know what the conversion was at the time the packet was logged, not at the current time. (and according to the configuration for the kernel, the nominal HZ value should be 1000, but full tickless mode is enabled - so that value does not seem to be used.)