Hardware benchmark list (was: Recommended hardware for iptables based firewall/router)

(I include the original email subjec to show what spawned this)

What would be cool is to have a hardware benchmark list for network
cards and processors (similar to JTR's list for hashes per second
[1]).

What I've been thinking for a while is how to benchmark network
hardware. Obviously there's issues with doing this and in order for
this to work everyone would need to be on the same page (or there'd
need to be a link showing settings used that someone could revise if
they found something that was off).

I think the biggest issue with this idea is figuring out affordable
hardware to test cards with. I'm unsure if this is possible so just
figured I'd throw this out there. Though since most machines have two
stacked interfaces, a decent benchmark might just be to plug one
interface into the other as that should shoe hardware noise issues,
PCI bus limitations (on that board), and driver issue.

1. http://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks