64-bit kernel, 32-bit user space

I've been pondering building a system that uses a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit
user space. Building most user space programs should be easy. But those that
have kernel parts should be a little tricky.

Take iptables, for example. The user space program can be 32-bit. But do the
kernel modules have to be 64-bit? Would xtables-addons have to be built 64-
bit? Openswan's another that might need to be split: 32-bit pluto and 64-bit
klips module.

Has anyone here built a 32-bit iptables for a 64-bit kernel? Or do such pkgs
that provide both user space and kernel space parts have to have both built to
match the kernel? In the many references I've found, this specific problem
hasn't been addressed.

Thanks,