Re: How to stop kernel TCP responses on a port

On 05/09/14 13:41, Dale Mellor wrote:

Anyway, the point is I don't want the syn-ack to come from the ground,
but the Linux kernel insists on sending it.  That's what I want to
filter out, or otherwise stop.

The kernel only does that if there is a piece of application code that is bound to that socket.

In case I haven't been clear, the PC is the gateway to the spacecraft;
effectively, it _is_ the proxy.  When a telnet client (on the ground)
connects to the gateway (on the ground), the gateway is responding to
the SYN when I don't want it to.

Ok, so the ground station PC is acting as a proxy and you don't want that. You want it to *route* the IP packets rather than be an application level proxy.

So at the moment you are connecting to a socket that is bound in the ground station PC. There is a piece of code there than binds and then accepts the connection. Stop doing that and have iptables forward/nat the packets instead.

If all that is incorrect, then you have not provided anywhere enough information on the how's and why's.