Re: ipset - bitmap:ip,mac kernel crashes, errors

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Yoann JUET wrote:

> > On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Yoann JUET wrote:
> >
> >> We are experiencing crashes with ipset (6.12) on a debian/wheezy with
> >> default kernel image (3.2.0). Using the bitmap:ip,mac set type + timeout
> >> support (all is ok without timeout support) triggers the problem
> >> systematically. A kernel panic occurs after issuing command 'ipset list'
> >> (sometimes a couple of times) when the total number of entries within a
> >> set exceeds a limit - 101 in my case -.
> >>
> >> A recent kernel (tested on 3.8.6) improves the situation. No more
> >> crashes,
> >> but it's still impossible to output all entries. We get a Kernel error:
> >>
> >> - With the default debian ipset version:
> >> ipset v6.12.1: Kernel error received: No buffer space available
> >>
> >> - And the last version:
> >> ipset v6.17: Kernel error received: No buffer space available
> >
> > Were the kernel modules from the ipset package installed?
> > What's the output of the command 'modinfo ip_set_hash_netport'?
>
> I'm using ipset modules from the kernel tree:
>
> # modinfo ip_set_hash_netport
> filename:
> /lib/modules/3.8.6-dsiun-130219/kernel/net/netfilter/ipset/ip_set_hash_netport.ko
> alias:          ip_set_hash:net,port
> author:         Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> license:        GPL
> depends:        ip_set
> intree:         Y
> vermagic:       3.8.6-dsiun-130219 SMP mod_unload modversions

That looks OK. However, I'm unable to reproduce the problem: I created a
bitmap:ip,mac set with timeout, added 255 entries and can list it just
fine.

Is your machine stressed in memory? What's your architecture? Does the
"Kernel error received: No buffer space available" returned immediately
after the set is created/elements added, or after some time?

ENOBUFS is returned by netlink itself.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary