Re: Formal submission of Xtables2

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Monday 2012-12-17 15:30, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 02:01:07PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >[...]
> >>
> >> In all fairness, I have never said anything about dropping nft.
> >> I am focused on xt2, its inclusion and subsequent maintenance, because
> >> it resolves the ipt shortcomings in a way that I think appeals most to
> >> the userspace crowd.
> >
> >I'm still not convinced but I want find a short-term compromise
> >solution for this which does not involve tons of email. We'll announce
> >the netfilter workshop soon, likely to happen at Q1 2013 depending on
> >availability of the organizer, but maybe Q2 2013 (but not later), I
> >think it's the place to debate your proposal and nftables, of course.
> >
> >I will not get anything into mainline until then.
>
> Delaying this for more months is not a good idea, I think.
>
> The amount of patches will grow as more features are implemented. If
> there is an objection to a patch, then this can have implications for
> all those that follow (not rebase conflicts, but actual
> invalidating), which gets more painful the larger the patchset is.

A few months won't really hurt - TPROXY had been discussed for a couple of
years at every workshop (and it was much simpler, smaller code). Both
nftables and xtables2 have got nice features, so it's not a simple
question.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary