Re: Mark traffic on one machine, match on another machine?

Thank you for this clarification, and your assumptions are correct: I'm trying to prioritize incoming and outgoing traffic on eth0.2, ifb0 is for shaping the incoming traffic.

But I'm still failing to filter incoming traffic based on the restored mark: statistics on the ifb0 qdiscs and classes remain zero. Filtering outgoing traffic is working as expected, statistics on the eth0.2 classes are incrementing as expected, which I think means that the PREROUTING --restore-mark target is working?

Do you have any other suggestions how to investigate why incoming traffic isn't getting filtered? or is there another way to classify response traffic from the origin server based on the TOS/DSCP field of the request from the proxy server? Are there any more details that would help explain the problem?

Here is the clarified script:

   1: iptables -N NEW_CONN -t mangle
   2: iptables -A NEW_CONN -t mangle -m tos --tos 12 -j MARK --set-mark 1
   3: iptables -A NEW_CONN -t mangle -m tos --tos 28 -j MARK --set-mark 2
   4: iptables -A NEW_CONN -t mangle -m mark --mark 0 -j MARK --set-mark 3
   5: iptables -A NEW_CONN -t mangle -j CONNMARK --save-mark
   6:
7: iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP 8: iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j CONNMARK --restore-mark 9: iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,RELATED -j NEW_CONN
  10:
  11: ifconfig ifb0 up
  12:
  13: insmod sch_ingress
  14: tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 ingress
  15:
  16: # Classify response traffic from origin server based on restored mark
  17: insmod cls_fw
  18: insmod act_mirred
19: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent ffff: protocol ip pref 1 handle 1 fw flowid 2:1 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0 20: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent ffff: protocol ip pref 1 handle 2 fw flowid 2:3 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0 21: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent ffff: protocol ip pref 1 handle 3 fw flowid 2:2 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0
  22:
  23: # Limit up and downstream to 1mbit, to "own" the queue
  24: insmod sch_tbf
25: tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 root handle 1 tbf rate 1mbit burst 5k latency 70ms 26: tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1 tbf rate 1mbit burst 5k latency 70ms
  27:
  28: # High, low, and "other" priority
  29: insmod sch_prio
  30: tc qdisc add dev eth0.2 parent 1: handle 2 prio
  31: tc qdisc add dev ifb0 parent 1: handle 2 prio
  32:
  33: # Classify request traffic from proxy server based on mark
34: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 2: protocol ip pref 1 handle 1 fw flowid :1 35: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 2: protocol ip pref 1 handle 2 fw flowid :3 36: tc filter add dev eth0.2 parent 2: protocol ip pref 1 handle 3 fw flowid :2