Re: old question revisited: can rely in 'iptables-restore' format?

   ======================================

>> Because I reckon that format has been stable for at least 10
>> years, and I wonder whether it may be desirable to write
>> firewall configurations directly in it, rather than using long
>> 'iptables' command shell scripts.

> I can't say why there's no official iptables-save(5) manual page,
> but I can definitely say that it IS desirable and recommended to
> use iptables-restore rulesets in your boot sequence. Most major
> distros that provide rulesets do use iptables-save and
> iptables-restore, and this has been the case for many years.

That's a misunderstanding of the question I asked, which was not
at all whether using 'iptables-restore' is desirable or common.

The question is whether the syntax accepted by 'iptables-restore'
format is going to be stable, so that one might invest in
generating rulesets from programs other than 'iptables-save',
rather than running many 'iptables' commands, then 'iptables-save'
and then 'iptables-restore'.

The only "guarantee" that I have seen is that whatever is output
by 'iptables-save' will be accepted by 'iptables-restore', and
that the syntax may be changed at any time.

However in practice the syntax accepted by 'iptables-restore' has
not substantially changed for many years.