Re: old question revisited: can rely in 'iptables-restore' format?

On Wednesday 2012-08-22 19:35, /dev/rob0 wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:21:37PM -0400, Neal Murphy wrote:
>> On Monday 20 August 2012 20:30:26 /dev/rob0 wrote:
>> > The main benefit is that iptables-restore is atomic. All changes
>> > are committed in one pass. Any error in the ruleset means your
>> > existing ruleset is not replaced.
>>
>> [Minor digression]
>> By 'atomic', do you mean that all of the changes are made with a
>> single COMMIT, regardless of how many tables are accessed and
>> regardless of how many rules are processed?
>
>I don't know. I was hoping that someone familiar with the source
>would answer.

COMMIT is for each table separately, hence the atomicity is also at the
table level.

>> It's been my experience that there is an implicit COMMIT at every
>> table change, and there is a ballpark limit of around 20,000 rules
>> per commit. Thus:

There is an upper limit, each table can be at most 4 GB in size. But it
will *always* be atomic - that is to say, an incoming packet will
always have some table (either the old, or its replacement) to be
processed with.

The most massive real-world ruleset to date has been Jesper's
with 662160 rules (in 151426 chains) weighing in at "only" 149 MB.

>>   - If the changes to a table contain more than around 20,000 rules,
>>     then that operation will require more than one COMMIT and will
>>     NOT be atomic.

No no no..