old question revisited: can rely in 'iptables-restore' format?

Perhaps it is useful to ask again an old question:

Is the format of files produced by 'iptables-saved' and consumed
by 'iptables-restore' still considered an internal, undocumented
format that may change at any time?

How stable is in practice that format?

Because I reckon that format has been stable for at least 10
years, and I wonder whether it may be desirable to write
firewall configurations directly in it, rather than using long
'iptables' command shell scripts.