Re: Help tweaking asterisk rules

On 04/03/2012 07:10, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Sunday 2012-03-04 05:39, Kerin Millar wrote:
>
>> On 21/01/2011 02:05, Max DiOrio wrote:
>>> I was also hoping someone can provide some guidance on leaving the RTP
>>> ports UDP 10000:20000 open to all IP's on the WAN.  What type of
>>> security issue will this raise?  Should I install Fail2Ban in this
>>> setup?  The only issue I have with Fail2Ban was that it blocked my
>>> access from the LAN within 15 seconds of it coming online.
>>
>> They needn't be open at all. Instead, load the the ip_conntrack_sip module and
>> ensure that your iptables policy is stateful.
>>
>> http://www.iptel.org/sipalg/
>
> This is all outdated material. It's nf_conntrack_sip and has been long
> merged into the kernel already.

I am aware that it exists in the mainline kernel. Thank you for pointing out that I got the name wrong. I managed asterisk in my prior job and did actually use nf_conntrack_sip so I should have recalled the distinction. Nevertheless, I think that the page still serves as a useful intro to those unfamiliar with the sip connection tracking module. At least, it did for me when I was facing the same issue as how to gracefully handle SIP.

Cheers,

--Kerin